SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Third Year for Wallenstein?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spotcard

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: A Third Year for Wallenstein? Reply with quote

Does anyone else think Wallenstein might benefit from adding a third year, or possibly even a fourth? I like the turn mechanism, but there isn't much opportunity for long term planning, because, well, there is no long term. With territories, and armies so scattered at the beginning, it takes a turn or two to concentrate your forces for a profitable attack, and the last year is a mad scramble for victory points. This doesn't leave much time for attacks for positional benefit, and with only two years, it is hard make taking over a good gold or grain producing territory show a profit. One downside is that there might be some saturation of building sites, but I don't know that that is a bad thing. In the face-to-face game, a third year would make the game last longer than most people would like to play, but online, with the game taking a few minutes per day, I would like a longer game. Any comments? If there is enough interest, perhaps the game programmers could allow a game creator to choose the length of the game during setup.
Big Bad Lex

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Game Variants Reply with quote

You need to make this a votable question.

For my 2d worth, The game has been balanced for 2 years very carefully. Wallenstein isn't Risk, its not about territory domination, its about weighing up land grabs and defence with building development over 6 movement turns. Increase the turns and building soon drops off in importance as money is needed to prop up defences for the long haul.

There has been some concern over people dropping out of games leaving them abandoned. If games increased in length, some players are inevitably going to be out of the running after the normal two years with only a couple of territories left as the super powers start to slug it out. It is certain that player interest will wane and the chance of drop out and game suspension will increase.

For these reasons I vote no to increased turns.
Spotcard

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A poll is a good idea, I'll try to set one up.
Bkruppa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the historical basis of this game would predispose it to be confined to a two year period also.
Big Bad Lex

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bkruppa wrote:
I believe the historical basis of this game would predispose it to be confined to a two year period also.

And there was me thinking it was based on the '30 years war' !!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Wallenstein All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: