SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feature Request: Choosing Player Colours

View previous topic :: View next topic  
torstenson

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:43 pm    Post subject: Feature Request: Choosing Player Colours Reply with quote

Hi,

Your online Wallenstein implementation is terrific, but I did think of one small improvement you might consider making (if you run out of better ideas and are bored):

Allow players to select their colour.

When I play face-to-face, I always choose the same colour, if possible because it helps me to remember which units are mine. In a game like Wallenstein which has historical connections and themed player roles, I also learn to identify with a particular warlord, and associate other roles with particular players. Maybe I'm just wierd!

Anyway, I'm not sure how difficult it would be to implement this feature, but this is how I would try doing it:

In each player's user profile, allow them to rank the available colours (this same ranking could also be used for Bus -- assuming it has colours; I've never played it).

When the game starts, the system can automatically assign colours to the players by placing them in a random order, and then have them in turn "draft" their marker colour based on their specified preferences. The highest-ranked colour that has not yet been chosen by another player is assigned to the player. If more than one player wants a particular colour, then they may not get what they want, but this is no different than in face-to-face games.

With this approach, players only need to set their preferred colours once, not for each game. Also -- if players don't care what colour they get, they can just not bother to assign a ranking (or rank colours equally) in their profile. They'll then be assigned a colour randomly from those remaining after those with preferences take their picks.
HighwayStar

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:29 am    Post subject: Color Choices Reply with quote

Great idea! We should all be able to pick our own color. I could be red on my screen, but green on someone else's so he/she could be red also. They'd be some other color on my screen. That way, we could always be the color we want on our screens, which is all that really matters.

Even better, would be to allow each player to assign all the colors for his/her screen. That way you could order the colors based on the score. It'd make multiple games easier...

Steve
Adversarian

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to add this as a request as well. Make is so you can choose your own player color. The site could handle people choosing the same color by displaying it correctly for the current player.

Thanks,

Adversarian
Bkruppa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we're picking colors I would like periwinkle! Very Happy
Omnipotentus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: Color Choices Reply with quote

HighwayStar wrote:
Great idea! We should all be able to pick our own color. I could be red on my screen, but green on someone else's so he/she could be red also. They'd be some other color on my screen. That way, we could always be the color we want on our screens, which is all that really matters.

I dont second ths statement for the following reasons.
- When discussing about the game, this could lead to confusion.
- Different colors on different screens would also not be too easy to
implement technically.

But the suggestion to be able to rank the colors and based on that, you get one would be great. But i would prefer this feature to be completely automatic to avoid further delay in starting the game.

I would implement the following algorithm:
First, the highest ranked colors of the players are assigned. If a conflict arises, the computer picks one player at random who gets the color.
Then the second highest ranked colors of the players, who have no color yet are assigned and computer resolves conflict if necessary and so on until all players get a color.

highest ranked color = the highest ranked color appearing in the game. So if someone chooses blue as highest ranked color and this color is not available in that particular game, his next color counts.
mrbass

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way you describe it Omnipotentus is exactly how Sea3D implements it for Settlers of Catan online.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Feature Request: Choosing Player Colours Reply with quote

torstenson wrote:

Allow players to select their colour.

I've pushed for this in the past also (for all games), to no avail.

I think the reasoning was that discussion of the game would be confusing since players often refer to each other by color. I would think that once this change was implemented players would be smart enough to refer to each other by name instead. Wink

http://www.spielbyweb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=267
freduk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally, I'd rather the developers spent their time bringing us new games...
HappyProle
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too. Smile
RyanMC
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HappyProle wrote:
Me too. Smile

Thirded Smile
Omnipotentus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah bringing new games is way cooler Very Happy

but being able to be my favorite color is also not too bad either Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Wallenstein All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: