SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suggestions for new games for SbW
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jack208

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoping to see Antike here. But this game actually plays quite fast between turns.
View user's profile BoardGameGeek Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AnttiT

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I very much agree with Onceler about the criteria of could-be-implemented -games. I think the best games for SBW-style PBEM gaming are the ones that have long turns with lots of choises, thinking and re-thinking. In other words, games which have problem with analysis paralyzation.

I'd say bidding games of almost any kind are not suitable, as when one bidding round can last days, you almost forget what you planned to bid. They can be more effectively played in online-based gameworld such as BSW (http://www.brettspielwelt.de).

Therefore, my suggestions for new games would be:

Vinci
Ursuppe
Anno 1503
Finstere Flure
Big City
Hare and Tortoise (Hase & Igel)
Mabi

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnttiT wrote:
I very much agree with Onceler about the criteria of could-be-implemented -games. I think the best games for SBW-style PBEM gaming are the ones that have long turns with lots of choises, thinking and re-thinking. In other words, games which have problem with analysis paralyzation.

I'd say bidding games of almost any kind are not suitable, as when one bidding round can last days, you almost forget what you planned to bid. They can be more effectively played in online-based gameworld such as BSW (http://www.brettspielwelt.de).

I generally agree, but there can be exceptions and surprises. For example Amun-Re has a bidding phase, which sometimes can go on for a while, and there are turns with very little action (just click to get your income or your score), but despite this I'm enjoying it immensely in PBW, and it's probably the most played game on SpielByWeb.

AnttiT wrote:

Therefore, my suggestions for new games would be:

Vinci
Ursuppe
Anno 1503
Finstere Flure
Big City
Hare and Tortoise (Hase & Igel)

Vinci and Hare and Tortoise are already available on www.ludagora.net, Finstere Flure on www.boiteajeux.net.
AmericanEagle

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VINCI would be a very good choice too?
snoozefest

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 7:52 am    Post subject: Bidding Reply with quote

I generally agree with the comments above, but bidding could be simple if you implemented something like eBay style bids: everyone simply enters their maximum bid. You would still need to pause the auction at points where players drop out, so you could enter a new maximum based on who's left, but you definitely do NOT need to take a turn simply to add 1 to the bid (for most games, anyway).
RyanMC
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We looked at the ebay style bidding on a couple of games we were considering. The hardest part with that is a situation like this:

Say I am willing to bid X if player A is going to win, but I am willing to bid much higher if it is going to be won by player B.

We still have considered it by having a max bid per player in the game, but that gets tricky and removes some of the "feel" from the game. Auctions work in sbw, look at Amun-Re it just depends on how much time you are willing to take to finish a game.

Whenever Myke or I look at a game we try to determine the number of turns each player is going to have to take. We have mathmatical formulas for several possible games. We try to weight that, but don't use it as an end all be all for what we pick. Keep making suggestions, we watch this thread and take the games into consideration. There are a lot of games that neither of us have played, and that makes it tough, we need to have a good understanding of the game to make it work.
JB

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

may i suggest diplomacy? i know that thats a really fun pbm game dont know how it would turn out as a pbw game though. you could have an ingame PM option that would add a nice feature to the game.
steve von laudicina

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: imperator Reply with quote

has anyone heard of this old of this old 3w classic?
It would work real well in this system.
It's a lot to do with the roman empire and economics, as well as anticipation. It is simple and is perfect for this format. Let me know what you think. P.S. it is a very old game and a lot of you may never have heard of it, if you would like to learn more about it, let me know.
steve von laudicina

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if it showed up on the subject, but if it didn't, I.m talking about the old classic Imperator.
RadAlienDad

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: How about Space Pirate Amazon Ninja Catgirls! (SPANC) Reply with quote

That was the whole message. Sorry.
View user's profile BoardGameGeek Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
RadAlienDad

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Custom written games? Reply with quote

Is there any interest in a custom game designed by players on the site?
View user's profile BoardGameGeek Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
RadAlienDad

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:48 am    Post subject: Don't everybody talk at once. Catgirls was a joke, ok? Reply with quote

Seriously. If there were a group game design project on this site, I'd contribute design time and implementation time. We have obviously gotten the involvement, at various points in time, of people who understand the criteria for games that would be good using this technology.
If this stays too quiet here, I will collect a few inspirations and then open a new topic on it.Smile
shugyosha

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you could work out the running of the rivers, Dos Rios would be a fine game to implement.

Ingenious/Einfach Genial would be another I would quite like to see.

Some of the other suggestions are excellent too. Smile
Bkruppa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I checked Tikal was a game already on SpielByWeb
striking_cobra

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bkruppa wrote:
Last time I checked Tikal was a game already on SpielByWeb

It wasn't back in December when it was suggested Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> SpielByWeb Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: