SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Average time between turns

View previous topic :: View next topic  
t_o_m9

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Average time between turns Reply with quote

So, how exactly is this calculated?
Is it average time between turns in "a" game?
Or average time between all turns taken?
For example, if player A is in 10 games and takes 1 turn in each game per day, but they all happen to be 10 turns in a row, is the average time between turn 24 hours +1 min +1 min etc, for an average time of under 1 hour? (when it is really close to 24 hours between turns)
ahauwi1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand "Turn Time" to be the time it takes a player to complete their turn, with the clock starting when the prior player finishes. i.e. if Player 1 finishes their turn at 11 PM and Player 2 finishes theirs at midnight, Player 2 would have had a turn time of 1 hour, and their "Average Turn Time" would be recalculated with the additional data point.
Maccheek

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always think it would be better to give the modal or median value and a maximum, as this would give a better idea of players 'normal' response time.

My current average is about 6.5 hours. However, a lot of traveling means I occasionally have to miss a couple of days, and sometimes a week or more which *means* that my average is skewed and does not accurately represent my response time.

Overall my response time is probably bimodal, averaging minutes when I'm working from home but normally about 6 hours when working from the office. Without graphing the response time I doubt this could be easily represented purely numerically.
kwojtasz

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:12 am    Post subject: % based? Reply with quote

maybe a percentage based system could show some more info. something like a person's quickest 33%, middle 33% and slowest 33% times averaged. (or 4, 25% groups).

In this way, faster players would be easily noticed as they would have quicker times in more of the percentage blocks. Slower players, would be slower through out, and sometimes quick, sometimes slow players would be a more even distribution.

An alternate idea too, depending if that info is saved, is a simple counter tally for particular time of day. Say Midnight to 4am, 4am-8am, 8am-Noon, Noon-4pm, 4pm-8pm, 8pm-Midnight, all GMT. So a person with 1000 moves, could have a spread of 600-100-200-0-0-100, which would show they usually are online and take turns between Midnight-4am GMT. Obviously if just the delta between turns is stored in a running total time, this wouldn't be usable for past games, but might be something interesting for going foward in time?
cpsof95

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might be a storage issue, because calculating medians, percentage blocks etc. requires saving the times of every turn, but the average time can be calculated using only the number of turns taken and the average before the latest turn.

Also, I was wondering if the average time means the average between any of your turns or the average between turns within a game. For example, if you're away for a week and 10 games wait for you, do you get 1 week waiting time for all the 10 turns or only for one turn (the time between your last turn before your absence and the first turn after it)?
Kanga

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's for each game. so if you are away for a week in 10 games, then 10 * 7 * 24 hours gets added to your total time taken.

Thus average times can be seriously distorted by a long absence, particularly if you are still relatively new to this site.

You can of course distort them in the other direction by playing 2 player games in one sitting, which is not a true reflection of your average time between turn in any other setting.
tlc

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But that might fix your average if you had one weird, long time away. Smile I'll have to remember that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> SpielByWeb Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: