SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tiles left count

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Llama

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Tiles left count Reply with quote

It's nice to know how many tiles are left in total, but could you also display how many of the current letter are left? Sure I could figure it out, but then I'd have to remember how many there are of each letter.

joe
Joe Casadonte
jcasadonte@northbound-train.com
rix_cz

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks you like to make Tikal easier Smile Do not do that, you will loose beauty of that game. It makes Tikal more atractive, if you need to remember tiles and everything what is going on in game Wink or you just want to use you 10 points and click end of turn and then again make 10 moves and end... it would not be funny. Rolling Eyes
TheCat

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I support Joe's suggestion. The information can be found by looking at the turn record already, so it's not giving players any information to which they don't already have access. When playing in-person, it's easy to get this information - you just look at the stack of tiles.

Quote:
you need to remember tiles and everything what is going on in game

This is silly - if we were playing the game all in one go in 90 minutes, it might make sense (but even then I'd think it was silly). When we're playing multiple games simultaneously over the course of weeks and months, it's ludicrous to expect players to remember tiles and everything that is going on in the game. You might as well say we don't need the picture of the board and pieces - instead, we should just keep it all in our memories.
Onceler

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In looking over these "game enhancement" posts, I've seen some fairly aggressive responses to people's honest opinions. Why the hostility? For me, I can see both sides of these debates.

Aids that tally information make games more user friendly. If you think a certain way, then it sure is nice to have an aid that will do the calculations for you. Aids, in theory, don't change strategy or tactics, so what's all the fuss?

At the same time, there is an obvious impact of adding playing aids that aren't in the original game. Each addition does change the game, even if minor, seemingly unimportant ways. Usually, the impact of aids is to change the playing experience of the game. Aids usually make things faster and eliminate calculation. The problem is that some people like the game’s playing experience the way it is, and some people like calculations.

Tikal is an odd game in that it combines light hearted discovery with precise and drawn out calculations. For example, when I play Tikal, I track (and know) not only how many tiles are left of each letter, I also know the exact types of tiles in each letter. Meaning, I can predict with some probability up to 100% what the next tile will be. This helps me in all sorts of ways, from calculating the odds that a scoring round will happen, to calculating AP needed for future movement, to calculating whether it's worthwhile to move workers to the frontier, or leave them where they are.

Just because everyone "could" do this same calculation does not mean that there should be a playing aid that displays each possible tile left in the current lettered group, along with the probability that each tile will be drawn next turn. Even more absurd would be to combine the tile predictor with the score tracker, to offer an expected future value of each move, along with a beta for each probability. (I don't do this calculation, but if I did, I bet I'd win a lot more games of Tikal Smile.

So, I suggest that we try to be tolerant of people's tastes and opinions, as the debates over enhancements are really just a matter of taste - what you like, and what you don’t, and to what degree you like or dislike each.
rix_cz

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is good to say what do you think and what could be change to improve or make something better. Try to use your brain...it doesn´t hurt Laughing and if you are affraid that you will play more than one afternoon and you will not remeber which tales are allready placed use NOTEPAD, it is close to MESSAGE and BUG REPORT.

You can make WEB Tikal more user friendly of course, but is it really needed in that way? Wink
rix_cz

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really want to change something, there is one thing. When you are not on your move you should not be able to rotate tiles, it is good for nothing and it could be little confusing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Tikal All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: